Sorry for the useless thread guys, I worked it all out :-)

It was due to silly mistakes like forgetting to initialize the array
in -init, and then having [self.array addObject: bar] be a no-op due
to self.array being nil.

Another mistake was self.array being initialized as
self.array = [[NSMutableArray alloc] init]

when it should have been
self.array = [NSMutableArray array]

I'm still somewhat new to this :-)

I totally get what's going on, I'm just not good at spotting the usual
mistakes yet; and I'm a bit sleepy at the moment.

Yawn,
-Patrick