On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 3:27 AM, Jean-Daniel Dupas
<devli...@shadowlab.org> wrote:

> Le 19 avr. 2010 à 04:21, Michael Ash a écrit :
>
>> On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 10:15 PM, Dave DeLong <davedel...@me.com> wrote:
>>> Yes, code should obviously be written with this knowledge in mind.  The use
>>> case I have for it is for macros.  I like to use a debugging macro like the
>>> following to ensure that methods are getting called (without having to
>>> break execution to stop at a breakpoint):
>>>
>>> #define LogMethod NSLog(@"-[%@ %...@]", NSStringFromClass([self class]),
>>> NSStringFromSelector(_cmd))
>>>
>>> This, of course, is only accurate for instance methods (since I'm logging a
>>> "-").  I was just wondering if there was a way I could use some sort of
>>> introspection to appropriately place a + or a -.
>>>
>>> I like the ([self class] == self) method, simply because it's shorter, but
>>> the [[self class] instancesRespondToSelector:_cmd] is also a great solution.
>>
>> The magic __func__ identifier produces a C string which I believe, in
>> an ObjC method, has exactly the format you're looking for.
>>
>> Mike
>
> It is fine for most cases, but __func__ is defined at compile time, and so,
> does not log the real type of the instance (if this is a subclass).

For me, if you're using this in a logging function, this is a feature,
not a bug. If I'm logging a message like "X is Y, should be Z" then I
want to know what code triggered that, and logging the actual object
type is much less useful for that. If you're interested in the actual
type as well, then I'd say just log that too, like:

NSLog(@"%s:%d %@: %@", __func__, __LINE__, self, yourMessageGoesHere);

Mike