Before you go any further, i highly recommend purchasing a book as suggested previously. I recommend the book by Hillegass

Work through a few samples from the book and you will better understand apples documentation.

I'm working the other side ... writing windows code with a mac background. Documentation and examples have been an amazing help for me.

jack