On 04/27/2010 2:12 PM, "Bill Bumgarner" <b...@mac.com> wrote:

> On Apr 27, 2010, at 2:09 PM, Gary L. Wade wrote:
>
>> On 04/27/2010 1:58 PM, "Bill Bumgarner" <b...@mac.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Frankly, the -retainCount method should be deprecated and, eventually,
>>> removed.
>>
>> I wouldn't go THAT far; after all, when you're tracking a memory leak,
>> checking your influence on the retain count is important to your
>> investigation.  Hopefully that's why the original poster is looking at it.
>
> The combination of leaks, zombies, heap, and malloc stack logging are much
> *much* more powerful and effective than trying to debug a leak, over-retain or
> under-retain with -retainCount.
>
> b.bum

Yes, but how would you use those to determine why an Apple framework now
chooses to retain a delegate (I'm referring to one particular one I
discovered), thereby causing a retain cycle?  It's not a memory leak in the
sense that Instruments or leaks would ever catch it.  Calling -retainCount
immediately before and after the -setDelegate call is pretty much the only
way.