On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Gary L. Wade
<garyw...@desisoftsystems.com> wrote:
> On 04/27/2010 2:46 PM, "Shawn Erickson" <shaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [ removed lots of bad assumptions by Shawn ]
>
> Shawn, it is apparent your understanding of reality is flawed when it comes
> to my efforts to track down the bug in Apple's code, so please go away.

Your efforts to locate a bug in Apple's code is orthogonal (and
frankly unimportant) to the discussion on the proper way to detect a
retain cycle, over retain, under release, over release, etc. I was not
questioning any aspect of you having found a bug or not.

I was questioning your following statement...

"Yes, but how would you use those to determine why an Apple framework now
chooses to retain a delegate (I'm referring to one particular one I
discovered), thereby causing a retain cycle?  It's not a memory leak in the
sense that Instruments or leaks would ever catch it."

...because Instruments with the Object Allocations template can be
used to directly find that type of issue and the code paths involved.
I know because I have used it to do exactly that on several occasions.

You then followed this statement saying that...

"Calling -retainCount immediately before and after the -setDelegate
call is pretty much the only way."

...which I noted is incorrect because 1) you should use Instruments
instead to get a more complete picture of the situation and 2)
attempting to use retainCount can easily mislead you because of
temporary retains (aka retains balanced with autorelease) which would
make the retain count appear to increase when in fact in the near
future it will decrease.

I am sorry if this hit a nerve but you have to understand posting
questionable information to a public forum can easily mislead others
into false beliefs and practices. We all have to attempt to keep
accurate information available to list members.

I encourage you to understand the points I and others are trying to
make here and not take them personally.

-Shawn