I am writing a small NSStatusItem which displays a NSString in the menu bar and
supplies a series of NSMenuItems. As the text to be displayed is occasionally
longer than would be permitted on the Menu Bar I would like to animate the text
in a Stock Ticker style scrolling animation. Much like you'd see in iTunes when
a song is too long to be displayed or how the modem connect NSStatusItem will
scroll the words "dialing... authentication...". I tried to simply write text
to the menu bar using a Timer writing one character at a time, but the result
isn't smooth and due to spacing in between letters can be variable in how much
it moves each iteration.

I suspect that a custom NSView is set to the NSStatusItem, but I am at a
complete loss as to how to pull this off. Any examples of how to:
1. Properly animate the text.
2. Attach the resulting animation to the menu bar

would be greatly appreciated. I have googled around extensively and have yet to
find a solid example or clue.

Thank you,