He sends a system profile with the program running and another without it
running. Without the program running, it is as follows:

Graphics/Displays:

    NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M:

      Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
      Type: GPU
      Bus: PCIe
      PCIe Lane Width: x16
      VRAM (Total): 512 MB
      Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
      Device ID: 0x0a29
      Revision ID: 0x00a2
      ROM Revision: 3532
      gMux Version: 1.9.21
      Displays:
        Display Connector:

    Intel HD Graphics:

      Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics
      Type: GPU
      Bus: Built-In
      VRAM (Total): 288 MB
      Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
      Device ID: 0x0046
      Revision ID: 0x0012
      gMux Version: 1.9.21
      Displays:
        Color LCD:
          Resolution: 1680 x 1050
          Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
          Main Display: Yes
          Mirror: Off
          Online: Yes
          Built-In: Yes

And with it running, it is:

[...]

The only other interesting thing I see in the second one is  an entry called
"IOUserClientCreator" which identifies my program - not sure if this means that
my program forced it to use the mode it is using.

I have not verified any of this independently, and I am only assuming that
running my program is the only thing that has changed, and that it is not just
a temporary switch while the application is starting up or something like
that...I'll do what I can to check that, but I think from the replies so far it
appears that the operating system chooses what it chooses and you can't control
that directly.

Anyway, I don't think that I'll spend a lot of time on this since there is a
new version of the program that links against different libraries etc due out
next week. I'll see if this user still has the problem with that version.

I see from Jens' reply, that I could try DYLD_PRINT_LIBRARIES, but it would
perhaps not be very useful until I know what I am looking for, and we're not
going to update the old version of the application anyway. If anyone does know
if it is specific libraries that do this, and can provide a list, maybe I can
check the new application against that list and possibly make some changes if
required.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Regards

Gideon