I have a UI that is designed to break down a huge collection of items into a
manageable subset that the user can work with at a time. Each item effectively
has a sort of "path", that describes its hierarchy, not in terms of its
location on disk, which is irrelevant, but its place in the whole big
collection of objects which is vaguely analogous to a file path.

I was looking at NSPathControl as a way to neatly show which item was selected
including its hierarchical information, but quickly realised that this control
is very strongly tied to NSURLs as a specific form of path and was not designed
to be readily abstracted.

So is using NSPathControl even possible for this, or would I just be better off
writing a complete new control from scratch? NSPathControl does some neat
things like fading overlong text within a subcell that I could use, as well as
displaying an icon and a triangle for the next item. What about subclassing the
subcell? I guess I'm just looking for some direction here or even better, some
code out there I can use.

thanks for any help,

--Graham