On May 20, 2010, at 9:37 PM, Nick Zitzmann wrote:

> On May 19, 2010, at 5:36 AM, Vassilis Pantazis wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have in my code the following statement:
>>
>>   NSDirectoryEnumerator* dirEnum;
>>   NSArray* inDirContents;
>>
>>   dirEnum = [[NSFileManager defaultManager] enumeratorAtPath:inPath]; //
>> inPath is a valid path
>>   inDirContents = [dirEnum allObjects];
>>
>> I have noticed that when the path contains many objects, a significant
>> amount of memory is allocated that is not released, neither when trying to
>> explicitly release inDirContents, nor when using an autorelease pool.
>> Can someone explain to me why this happens please and how to solve it?

Also be aware that just because memory is released, doesn't mean it is returned
to the system (e.g. you will not see your apps memory usage go down in Activity
Monitor). In fact,  AFAIK, it is never returned to the system, except perhaps
in low memory situations. This is a key reason for recommendations on keeping a
low peak memory footprint. Search the archives for more discussions on these
issues.

HTH,

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.