António, that's exactly what I needed. But it leads to my next question.

The PDFSelection class as far as I can tell  basically supports what in
Preview.app is  the "text" tool on the toolbar. The selection tool in
Preview.app selects an arbitrary rectangle, even if there's no text behind the
image.

So, is there some way of changing the behavior of the given PDFSelection, or do
I have to "hand code" this (using the Cropped image example code, for instance)?