On May 25, 2010, at 9:37 PM, Matthew Weinstein wrote:
> Actually, I don't need the tiff; I just need the rectangle! People have to be
> able to sketch the rectangle over the pdf, and then my program stores and
> restores those rectangles (with some additional information).

PDFSelection has a routine to return each line from the selection as a
sub-selection (for a single word selection this generally is just the selection
itself, but for selections that span multiple lines you get a new selection for
each line).

For each "line selection" you can get its bounds. These you can store/archive
along with the page index.

With the archived rectangles and page indices you can later create selections
again from those rectangles (PDFPage has -[selectionForRect:]).

This isn't a perfect solution though — you may have to pad out the rectangle a
bit for example to improve fidelity between the original selection and the
unarchived one.

If you know the range of the original text selected, PDFPage's
-[selectionForRange:] is unambiguously specified.