On 28 May 2010, at 11:30, Uli Kusterer wrote:

> The heuristic most people use is to wait a little time (a few seconds is
> usually enough) and only start processing a file if a new write notification
> hasn't arrived in the meantime. I usually use my UKPushbackMessenger for that
> purpose (see
> http://github.com/uliwitness/UliKit/blob/master/UKPushbackMessenger.h
> andhttp://github.com/uliwitness/UliKit/blob/master/UKPushbackMessenger.m).

Gruezi Uli,

I was hoping the system would provide something better for this. Looks like an
enhancement request is in order.

Since PDF documents can potentially be huge, and I need to keep performance as
good as possible, I need something more robust than waiting a few seconds. I am
now experimenting with trying to read in a PDFDocument from the url, and not
spawn the worker thread until this succeeds. Initial results look promising.
The thread that sets up the task waits until it can successfully read in a
PDFDocument from the URL, then releases the document and launches the task. I
find this a bit of a hack, but if it works, it works, and I think this provides
tighter performance than waiting for a set number of seconds (which may in
extreme cases not to be long enough anyway).

Best,
António

Don't believe everything you think