On May 28, 2010, at 7:57 AM, Antonio Nunes wrote:

> I expect many of the files will arrive in the watched folder either through
> user manipulation in the Finder or through scripts/automation. I don't think
> I can assume only Finder-originated copying.

Then there's no way for the system to know when the operation is "done". The
file being closed would be a very good candidate, but not necessarily... Even
more so, the file being open doesn't necessarily mean it's still being copied
(Spotlight, for instance).

Generally the most reliable way to deal with this is requirements on the
process putting the file in the folder. In other words do not copy, and most
certainly do not download, a file to the final name/location from where it will
be picked up. Copy (or download) to a temporary file, distinguished by name or
extension or type or visibility or location, then when the file is complete
rename/update/move.

If you're only dealing with PDF files, you could check for the presence of the
PDF footer at the end of the file. That would work unless some process creates
a complete PDF file, then appends pages to it.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_r...@elevated-dev.com