On Jun 4, 2010, at 13:03, Brad Stone wrote:

> How do I create the callback method?  I don't understand what the signature
> is telling me.  I have
> canCloseDocumentWithDelegate:shouldCloseSelector:contextInfo: in my
> NSDocument and I want to set up the callback method.  When I create a method
> as below it never fires.  I must just not be reading it correctly.
>
> - (void)document:(NSDocument *)doc shouldClose:(BOOL)shouldClose
> contextInfo:(void *)contextInfo {
>       NSLog(@"hey, it finally worked!");
> }
>
> What exactly should the method be in my NSDocument?

It's a bit confusing, because your 'canCloseDocumentWithDelegate...' is an
override. That means a delegate selector is being passed *in* to this method,
and it's not your selector. There's no direct way to substitute your
'document:shouldClose:...' method for the supplied one.

But there is a solution. Look in the Leopard AppKit Developer Release Note:

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/releasenotes/Cocoa/AppKitOlderNotes.html

in the section with the following title:

        Advice for Overriders of Methods that Follow the
delegate:didSomethingSelector:contextInfo: Pattern

This explains what you need to do to get your method to be called.