On Jun 6, 2010, at 3:12 AM, Jean-François Brouillet wrote:

> [...] making reference to object id 123 in file one.xib to object id 456
> in file two.xib should be a walk in the park ...

You're still not getting it.  There are no such objects.  NIBs are object graph
templates, not object graphs.  If two.xib is loaded twice, to which "object id
456" does "object id 123" have a connection?

> Well, it looks like I'm in for some disappointment here. Yes, there is some
> form
> of cross XIB references supported by IB (via the Attribute Inspector) but as
> far
> as setting up a cross reference from any top level (aka: singleton) object to
> any other object (top level or not) in some other nib file, it looks like
> either
> IB does NOT support it, or, I was not able to discover the magic gesture that
> would enable me to do so.

You keep referring to "singleton" in a way which makes no sense to me.
Singleton's have nothing to do with NIBs, as far as I see.  In fact, it's
pretty difficult to imagine how a singleton could be contained in a NIB.

> To be pristinely clear, I am *NOT* asking how I could programatically
> implement
> awakeFromNib and perform the magic myself at runtime

I may have missed them, but I didn't see suggestions that you approach it this
way.  I suggested, and I saw others suggest, that you connect to File's Owner
or Application or bind to or through those.  Doing so can be done completely
within IB, although the properties of classes do have to be coded.

Regards,
Ken