On Jun 9, 2010, at 10:07 AM, Paul Sanders wrote:

> If the clipping path method works, and if you can subclass your webview, then
> you shouldn't need a separate view at all. Just override drawRect: and draw
> your rectangles after calling super.  It sounds almost too easy.

Actually there are subviews inside a WebView, one per frame; it’s those you’d
need to subclass and I don’t think there’s a public factory method you can
override, so I don’t know how you’d get your subclass instantiated.

Also, while overriding -drawRect: works for many views, I have serious doubts
it would work for WebKit content. WebKit rendering is insanely complex and I’m
pretty sure it’s not all bottlenecked through the -drawRect: call. That is, I
think in many situations it will just lockFocus and draw into its view directly
instead of calling -setNeedsDisplayInRect: and waiting for AppKit to redraw it.