On Jun 10, 2010, at 4:29 PM, Kevin Boyce wrote:

> Boy I'll say!  I put the FSCopyObjectAsync call in its own thread, and it
> made no difference whatsoever.  Apparently that call is completely useless,
> unless you want to totally lock up the computer for a second at a time.
> Which seems odd to me.

Um, I have trouble believing that. The OS is very good at multithreading. I
think something’s not doing what you think it’s doing — maybe you’re somehow
blocking your main thread waiting on the background thread to finish, or the
background thread acquires some lock that the main thread also needs? Because
the only way thread B can block thread A is if A explicitly waits for it, or A
tries to get a shared resource that’s being hogged by B.

Try sampling your app or running Instruments on it.