On 16.06.2010, at 18:03, k...@highrolls.net wrote:
> I have a SVN Client that adds a button to the Finder's windows. clicking the
> button pops up  menu of SVN actions.
>
> Is this considered good form?

 There is no official API to add such buttons to Finder, so whatever this SVN
client does is using undocumented and not recommended ways of messing with
Finder internals (which Apple may change at any time, causing the hacky SVN
thing to break).

 So, no, it's not considered good form.

> I would like to do something similar, a button with a pop up menu.  Good form?

 What you want is to get in the Finder's contextual menu. That's done using
Services since Mac OS X 10.6 (which also gets you the "Services" submenu of
supported apps and the "Gear" or "Action" menu in Finder's toolbar).

 If you need to support older MacOS versions, you need to use the old
"Contextual Menu module" plug-in scheme, which isn't supported under 64-bit.

-- Uli Kusterer
Sole Janitor
http://www.the-void-software.com