There is nothing wrong with a popup button.
You probably should *not* add buttons to other applications if there is not an
API provided to do so for that application.

You definitely should never do so without making it an opt-in situation for the
user before adding a button to another application.

If you do this sort of thing anyway, when there is no API provided, at best
your functionality will break in the future, at worst your functionality will
cause issues with the other application. The end user may not know what the
cause is. They will contact the application vendor's support and support costs
money.

In short: if there is no API provided, do not attempt to inject functionality
into another application because you might frustrate users and cost the
application's vendor money.

If you think there should be an API where there is not one, please file a bug
requesting it.