On Jun 22, 2010, at 3:58 PM, Bill Appleton wrote:

> Hi Charles,
>
> Under Safari 64 bit you HAVE to use Cocoa -- there ain't nuthin' else.
>
> By the way i just found out that this problem is FIXED in the latest version
> of Safari.
>

> Thanks all,
>
> bill

Unless your plug-in is 64-bit only, there’s the chance the 32-bit binary could
load into a non-Cocoa browser such as Firefox.

And even if it happens to work on the new version of Safari, there’s no
guarantee it will continue to do so indefinitely, since this is something that
Apple’s official guidelines recommend against doing. I would probably look into
a different solution.

Your best bet is probably to spin off a new process which is a background-only
app. The app launches, displays the modal dialog box, and exits with the
appropriate result code. Alternatively, if your needs are simple, you could
fork/exec the osascript tool and use AppleScript to make a simple dialog.