Jens,

>> 2. However, CFReadStreams created _while_ the app was in the background
>> often (though not always) _don't_ call their callbacks _until_ the app is
>> brought in the foreground, then all of a sudden the callback happens.
>
> I think foreground/background is a red herring — that has almost no effect on
> the behavior of the app.

I think I know what the problem is -- my app is being suspended. Even though I
have the "audio" key added to the plist file, there is this sentence (best
imagined as narrated by an ominous, deep voice with a thick reverb) from the
iPhone Application Programming Guide:

"However, if this key is not present when the application moves to the
background, or if your application stops playing audio while in the background,
your application is suspended."

I think what is happening is that if iOS4 catches my app not playing audio in
the background (like if it calls AudioQueueStop() even if it's going to call
AudioQueueStart() later), it suspends it.

Regards,

John