On Monday, 2010-06-28, at 14:43, vincent habchi wrote:

>> "Possible" or "Allowed"? ;-)
>
> Both, I think. If I am not mistaken, it was some Apple guy (David Duncan?)
> who pointed out the role of the runloop. I therefore take for granted that,
> if it is not "allowed", it must at least be "tolerated".

What does work, but I doubt it is allowed, is to directly call 'display' on the
CALayer. Apple says "you should not call this method directly", but so far it
seems to work and has not crashed... on the other hand it might crash if the
CALayer is destroyed on the main thread asynchronously (that can be avoided,
though, by making sure the other thread stops first, before the CALayer is ever
destroyed). Another issue is that it might cause refreshes of the CALayer, even
thought the layer is not even visible right now (e.g. the whole Window is
minimized); but that could be solvable, too, though I'm not sure how (querying
UI properties of elements from a thread other than main is definitely not
thread-safe).

--
Markus Hanauska