(Coming late to this thread...)

I recently used both approaches.  Subclassing NSURLConnection worked nicely and
was quick to code when I had just one kind of delegate behavior.  When I had to
add other kinds of delegate behavior I switched to the
multiple-delegate-classes approach and used plain NSURLConnection.

My classes are lightweight wrappers that hide the NSURLConnection machinery and
define their own delegates (this is the weak pointer Dave described).  My
classes' delegates are notified when either (1) the connection fails, (2) the
connection finishes getting the data and the data is invalid, or (3) the
connection finishes getting the data and the data is okay.

This was my first time using NSURLConnection, so I'm glad each of the two
approaches I used makes sense to at least one other person. :)

--Andy