Thanks Scott,

To draw shadows around cells, I would have to draw outside the cell
view's frame, i.e. on the parent view or sibling cells, respecting the
z-order. Is this possible?

Also, the cells in my view can be moving over each other with an
animation. When the cell view is moved using setFrame, it does not
receive the drawRect:, neither do the parent view and the sibling cell
views. so there seems no chance to update its shadow (even assuming
it's possible to draw outside the cell view)

Thanks!