On Aug 3, 2010, at 13:50, eric dolecki GMail wrote:

> Many thanks. I didn't know object could be nil yet still pass it along when
> populated

I *knew* you were going to say exactly that. :)

Specifying nil for the 'object:' parameter just means (and I quote from the
NSNotificationCenter reference) "the notification center doesn’t use a
notification’s sender to decide whether to deliver it to the observer". All
notifications still have a sender, available as the 'object' property of the
notification object.

If the parameter had been named something like 'objectFilter:' instead, you
wouldn't have been confused. As it is, reading the documentation would have
cleared up the apparent ambiguity, which is why I keep harping on READING THE
DOCUMENTATION.