On Aug 9, 2010, at 10:52 AM, Quincey Morris wrote:

> On Aug 8, 2010, at 21:08, Rounak Jain wrote:
>
>> I have an array called "Products". It has some product names which are saved
>> in a plist file. More Products are added to it through the combo box (named
>> Product) and they too get saved in the plist file automatically.
>>
>> Now I want to create a second Combo Box (named Brand) and a third Combo Box
>> (named Size).
>>
>> The idea is this:
>>
>> Depending on the Product selected in the Product Combo Box, the Brand Combo
>> Box must display a list of Brands for the user to select for that Product.
>> Each Product will have many different brands. This means each Product will
>> have its own array of Brands. Also, when a user types in a new Brand instead
>> of using the existing ones, the new Brand should also be added in the array
>> of Brands for that particular Product.
>>
>> Finally, each Brand will have its own array of Sizes just like each Product
>> had its own array of Brands.
>>
>> Please guide me on how I should do this.
>
> You probably shouldn't even try.
> Despite superficial appearances, NSComboBox is a kind of text field, *not* a
> kind of menu. If the intent is to choose an object from a list of objects,
> NSComboBox is definitely not the way to go about it. Only use NSComboBox
> where you want text entry, but also want to accelerate the text entry by
> providing several pre-determined strings. Otherwise, use a menu or a
> NSPopUpButton instead.

Hi Quincey,
Thanks for the reply. It seems I did not make myself clear. I did write that

>> the Brand Combo Box must display a list of Brands for the user to select for
>> that Product.
but i also wrote
>> . Also, when a user types in a new Brand instead of using the existing ones,
>> the new Brand should also be added in the array of Brands for that
>> particular Product.

So basically, i was only interested in the auto-complete (setComplete: method)
of comboBox when I wrote the first sentence.

But as you can see in the second sentence, I want the user to type in new
Brands so that they are also available for auto-completion the next time. So I
hope ComboBox is the right choice. Please guide me now.
Regards,