On Aug 17, 2010, at 2:32 PM, Cem Karan wrote:
> Mmm, my question is, what about Apple's code?  I'll be the first to admit, I
> don't know enough about what goes on under the hood, so what I'm about to say
> may be very, very wrong (anyone out there that knows better than me, here is
> your cue to jump in!).  Is it possible that the code that Apple supplies has
> GC turned on, while your code doesn't?  In that case, wouldn't their code not
> garbage collect until its needed, or until it hits a drain statement?  I
> haven't tested it out, but once I found out that Apple started to supply GC
> code, and therefore possibly GC enabled libraries, I switched to using drain
> instead of release for my autorelease pools, just in case...

There is no "just in case" here. Garbage collection is global. Either all code
in the process runs with GC, or none of it does. The application's choice is
binding on all of the libraries.

If you're writing a library that could be loaded into both GC- and non-GC apps,
then you need to take care to write code that runs both ways. Application
authors don't need to work that hard.

--
Greg Parker     gpar...@apple.com     Runtime Wrangler