Aha!

I did have custom accessors (I'd actually forgotten about them, I've let this sit too long...), but when comparing against that documentation I found the problem.

My notifications (didChange/etc.) were sent for the primitive values instead of using the straight names -- "primitiveSomeField" rather than "someField" -- changing that fixes the problem.

Looks like I did that with other ones too, so I'll fix those while I am looking at it.

Thank you!

This had been driving me crazy...