> CABasicAnimation *animation =
>                  [CABasicAnimation animationWithKeyPath:@"bounds"];
>                 CGRect orgVal = CGRectMake(0, 0,
> firstWheelLayer.bounds.size.width, firstWheelLayer.bounds.size.height);
>                 CGRect newVal = CGRectMake(0, 0,
> firstWheelLayer.bounds.size.width+100, firstWheelLayer.bounds.size.height);
>
>                  [animation setFromValue:[NSValue valueWithCGRect:orgVal]];
>                  [animation setToValue:[NSValue valueWithCGRect:newVal]];
>                  [animation setDuration:5.0];
>                  [firstWheelLayer setBounds:newVal];
>                  [firstWheelLayer addAnimation:animation forKey:@"flag"];
>
> The problem here is that the sublayers do not scale horizontaly like the
> "firstWheelLayer" should I set their bounds here too?

I'm a little rusty on my Core Animation, but have you tried using the
actual "scale" property in Core Animation instead of using the bounds
property? I think the problem with using bounds is you are only
setting the dimensions of the specific layer, not the transformation
matrix. Since layers may be used as containers to contain other layers
and they do not clip, I wouldn't expect setting the bounds on a layer
would cause its children to transform.

-Eric