On 2010 Aug 22, at 15:55, Ajay Sabhaney wrote:

> it was *necessary*

[emphasis added]

> for me to receive a KVO notification when either a new item was added to the
> array controller, or removed from the array controller

I'd say that this assumption is the problem.  What you probably *really need*
is a notification when relationships change in your *data model*.  I believe
the conventional approach would be to *observe your data model* instead of
array controller contents.  In other words, "go right to the source".

Bugs, such as the one reportedly in NSArrayController, often hang out in dark
alleys where few people go.  For easier programming, stay on the main streets.