On 2010-08-22, at 11:54 PM, Jerry Krinock wrote:

>> it was *necessary*
>
> [emphasis added]
>
>> for me to receive a KVO notification when either a new item was added to the
>> array controller, or removed from the array controller
>
> I'd say that this assumption is the problem.  What you probably *really need*
> is a notification when relationships change in your *data model*.  I believe
> the conventional approach would be to *observe your data model* instead of
> array controller contents.  In other words, "go right to the source".

Jerry, thank you for your response.

Your solution is actually what I am currently doing =)

Like I state in my e-mail, I'm observing the content array of the
NSArrayController, and am getting notifications perfectly fine.  I'm just
wondering if there's a better way to do all this since I'm losing some of the
free functionality provided by NSArrayController + Core Data.  One of the
biggest things I'm losing out on is the free loading of documents in to my
application.  The NSArrayController does a fetch and populates arrangedObjects,
but this brings me back to the original problem of not being able to access the
objects that were added to the array controller.

Perhaps I should give up the free functionality that Core Data is providing me
and implement this functionality