Hi Albert,

You might try appending the text directly to the text storage:

                NSMutableAttributedString *attstr =
[[[NSMutableAttributedString alloc] initWithString:someText] autorelease];
                [[textView textStorage] beginEditing];
                [[textView textStorage] appendAttributedString:attstr];
                [[textView textStorage] endEditing];

Cheers,

Martin

On Sep 22, 2010, at 4:03 AM, albert jordan wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm having a problem with NSTextView, and I'm wondering if anyone can help
> verify the source of the problem and suggest alternatives.
>
> I'm trying to develop an automated test program for Android handsets.  I can
> connect two Android handsets to my MAC, and among other things, I would like
> to have customized windows for each device that will display logging
> information coming from the handset.
>

> I have setup an "NSTextView in an NSScrollView" item in interface builder,
> and my window controller objects has an IBOutlet that is linked to TextView
> of the item (if I connect it to the NSScrollView, I don't get any text).
> Anytime that I get a log statement, I use the insert text method to print out
> the log line in the view...
>
> [myTextView insertText: (NSString *) newLogLine];
>

> The problem is that this interface freezes.  If I change the program so that
> every 100th log line is entered, then things work fine.  Reading the
> NSTextView documentation I note the following for "insertText"...
>
> "This method is the entry point for inserting text typed by the user and is
> generally not suitable for other purposes."
>
> So my assumption is that insertText in TextView is not suited for cases where
> new strings are sent rapidly.  Is this a correct interpretation?  Is this
> anyone else's experience?
>
> Does anyone know a work around this?  NSLog/Concole works fine, but since I
> have multiple devices I would like to break the log entries in two different
> windows.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
>
> albert
>
> This email sent to martin.hewit...@aei.mpg.de

Martin Hewitson
Albert-Einstein-Institut
Max-Planck-Institut fuer
    Gravitationsphysik und Universitaet Hannover
Callinstr. 38, 30167 Hannover, Germany
Tel: +49-511-762-17121, Fax: +49-511-762-5861
E-Mail: martin.hewit...@aei.mpg.de
WWW: http://www.aei.mpg.de/~hewitson