Thanks Kyle for the suggestion,

I still get the app to hang.  if I bypass writing to the text view things work
fine, so I'm certain it's this operation that hangs the application.    Based
on everyone's feedback, below is what I've come up with so far.  "adbLog" is
the culprit TextView.    The app works initially, and I always get the
shouldChangeTextInRange method to return YES.

I'm going to try buffering the lines, and update the view in a batch mode...
running out of ideas...

Thanks again for all that have helped so far.

Regards,

Albert

        BOOL flag = [adbLog shouldChangeTextInRange:NSMakeRange(NSNotFound, 0)
replacementString:nil];

        if ( flag == YES ) {

                NSLog(@"DeviceWindowController: permission to write to
buffer\n");

                NSMutableAttributedString *attstr =
[[[NSMutableAttributedString alloc] initWithString:line] autorelease];
                [[adbLog textStorage] beginEditing];
                [[adbLog textStorage] appendAttributedString:attstr];
                [[adbLog textStorage] endEditing];
                [adbLog didChangeText];
                //[adbLog display] ;
        } else {