Hey there, Cocoa List!

I've got a question about background tasking, and I couldn't really answer
myself it by searching in the documentation (or even in the internet).
I want to make a background task with an application. Firstly, I used the code
they gave as a sample, which looks like this:

- (void)applicationDidEnterBackground:(UIApplication *)application
{
    UIApplication*    app = [UIApplication sharedApplication];

    bgTask = [app beginBackgroundTaskWithExpirationHandler:
        ^{
                [app endBackgroundTask:bgTask];
                bgTask = UIBackgroundTaskInvalid;
    }];

    dispatch_async(dispatch_get_global_queue(DISPATCH_QUEUE_PRIORITY_DEFAULT,
0), ^{

                [self showALocalNotification];

                [app endBackgroundTask:bgTask];
                bgTask = UIBackgroundTaskInvalid;
    });
}

It actually shows my local notification, but I want the application to check
for some conditions (like "Is the Device charging?" or "In what way does the
user hold the device?"), and if certain conditions are complied with, I want to
show the local notification. So I only want that the Device sends me a message
from time to time (like every 10 seconds), then I execute a little bit of code,
and maybe show this notification.

Does somebody know if this is possible? Thanks in before,