Thanks for your insight Dave,

In my current implementation I do have an autorelease pool being created and
released at the end of main, as well as inside each posted notification that
NSFileHandle posts on each background thread.  Upon further inspection the
largest culprits are not CFConstantStringRefs but instead non-object
allocations inside libsqlite3.dylib being called by sqlite3MemMalloc.  The
constant strings are indeed building but are not the largest allocations.

With one save of the managedObjectContext libsqlite3.dylib mallocs 35 objects
that are still considered "live" even after the NSOperation that is the root of
the call stack has since been freed.

Here is the call-stack for one of the allocations since they all seem to follow
the same call stack:
   0 libsqlite3.dylib sqlite3MemMalloc
   1 libsqlite3.dylib mallocWithAlarm
   2 libsqlite3.dylib pcache1Fetch
   3 libsqlite3.dylib sqlite3PcacheFetch
   4 libsqlite3.dylib sqlite3PagerAcquire
   5 libsqlite3.dylib sqlite3BtreeBeginTrans
   6 libsqlite3.dylib btreeCursor
   7 libsqlite3.dylib sqlite3InitOne
   8 libsqlite3.dylib sqlite3Init
   9 libsqlite3.dylib sqlite3Pragma
  10 libsqlite3.dylib yy_reduce
  11 libsqlite3.dylib sqlite3Parser
  12 libsqlite3.dylib sqlite3RunParser
  13 libsqlite3.dylib sqlite3LockAndPrepare
  14 CoreData -[NSSQLiteConnection _executeSQLString:]
  15 CoreData -[NSSQLiteConnection _configurePragmaOptions]
  16 CoreData -[NSSQLiteConnection connect]
  17 CoreData -[NSSQLCore _loadOrSetMetadata]
  18 CoreData -[NSSQLCore _ensureMetadataLoaded]
  19 CoreData -[NSSQLCore
initWithPersistentStoreCoordinator:configurationName:URL:options:]
  20 CoreData -[NSPersistentStoreCoordinator
addPersistentStoreWithType:configuration:URL:options:error:]
  21 MAID -[MIMaidServer persistentStoreCoordinator]
/Users/kevin/Desktop/MAID_Workspace/MAID/MAID/Source/MIMaidServer.m:466
  22 MAID -[MIMaidServer managedObjectContext]
/Users/kevin/Desktop/MAID_Workspace/MAID/MAID/Source/MIMaidServer.m:492
  23 MAID -[MIMaidOperation managedObjectContext]
/Users/kevin/Desktop/MAID_Workspace/MAID/MAID/Source/MIMaidOperation.m:432
  24 MAID -[MIMaidOperation logClientData:]
/Users/kevin/Desktop/MAID_Workspace/MAID/MAID/Source/MIMaidOperation.m:242
  25 MAID -[MIMaidOperation handleIncommingData:]
/Users/kevin/Desktop/MAID_Workspace/MAID/MAID/Source/MIMaidOperation.m:230
  26 MAID -[MIMaidOperation dataReadFromClient:]
/Users/kevin/Desktop/MAID_Workspace/MAID/MAID/Source/MIMaidOperation.m:210
  27 Foundation _nsnote_callback
  28 CoreFoundation __CFXNotificationPost
  29 CoreFoundation _CFXNotificationPostNotification
  30 Foundation -[NSNotificationCenter postNotificationName:object:userInfo:]
  31 Foundation _performFileHandleSource
  32 CoreFoundation __CFRunLoopDoSources0
  33 CoreFoundation __CFRunLoopRun
  34 CoreFoundation CFRunLoopRunSpecific
  35 Foundation -[NSRunLoop(NSRunLoop) runMode:beforeDate:]
  36 Foundation -[NSRunLoop(NSRunLoop) run]
  37 MAID -[MIMaidOperation main]
/Users/kevin/Desktop/MAID_Workspace/MAID/MAID/Source/MIMaidOperation.m:165
  38 Foundation __NSThread__main__
  39 libSystem.B.dylib _pthread_start
  40 libSystem.B.dylib thread_start

With regard to the CFSTR being static within the executable

CFStringRef MICreateVersionStringFromVersionValue( UInt32 versionValue )
{
        UniChar upperBase = 0;
        UniChar lowerBase = 0;
        UniChar major = 0;
        UniChar minor = 0;

        CFStringRef hexStringRef = CFStringCreateWithFormat( NULL, NULL,
CFSTR("%x"), versionValue );   <----- Instruments is hi-lighting this line as
an allocation.

        CFIndex sizeMatters = CFStringGetLength( hexStringRef );
        //CFIndex charactersReturned = 0;

        if ( sizeMatters > 3 )
        {
                CFStringGetCharacters( hexStringRef, CFRangeMake( sizeMatters -
4, 1 ), &upperBase );
        }
        CFStringGetCharacters( hexStringRef, CFRangeMake( sizeMatters - 3, 1 ),
&lowerBase );
        CFStringGetCharacters( hexStringRef, CFRangeMake( sizeMatters - 2, 1 ),
&major );
        CFStringGetCharacters( hexStringRef, CFRangeMake( sizeMatters - 1, 1 ),
&minor );

        CFStringRef versionStringRef = CFStringCreateWithFormat( NULL, NULL,
CFSTR("%c%c.%c.%c"), upperBase, lowerBase, major, minor );  <----- Instruments
is hi-lighting this line as an allocation even though it is being released by
the caller of the function.

        CFRelease( hexStringRef );

        return versionStringRef;
}

The returned versionStringRef is being released from the caller of the function
and none of the other tools are reporting this as a leak so I'm not sure why
the system is still considers any of the memory "live".

Thanks for your help in this matter, it's been driving me crazy for a few days.

Sincerely,

Kevin Ross