Thanks a million Scott,

I've started reading the sqlite documentation and it looks like I can adjust
the PRAGMA cache_size to let me tweak the size of the cache.  I am only writing
to the database with this daemon and I'll try to dig up any other options that
might help optimize it for this scenario.  Those were the largest allocations
in my testing and setting the cache to 10 seems to eliminate the outstanding
malloc'ed objects.

I still have some outstanding allocations from -[NSAutoeleasePool init] and
+[NSRunLoop(NSRunLoop) currentRunLoop] that Foundation must be caching, but the
memory overhead has drastically reduced under stress-testing.

While I'm on the subject, are there any caveats to calling [[NSRunLoop
currentRunLoop] run]; in the -(void)main of my NSOperation subclass?  In my
testing it works wonderfully but I haven't read anything in the docs that say
to avoid it.

Thanks again for your help,

Kevin Ross