> You expect a mailing list consisting of people reading in their spare time,
> and writing out of charity, most of whom have been doing their paying jobs in
> the few hours since you first posted, to drop everything to respond? Lovelier
> still.

Your assumptions are incorrect.

Thanks to everyone who responded.  I don't have any other hidden
instance; I'm working in the tree view in the IB doc window so I can
be sure to see what's there.

I have implemented the cellForRowAtIndexPath and numberOfRowsInSection
delegate methods as required, and those methods ARE being called.

The setup in IB looks like this:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4049/5076024257_50d1d1f5de_b_d.jpg

and the code for tableView:(UITableView*)tableView
cellForRowAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath*)indexPath is pretty much the
boilerplate example that Apple provides, with changes for my data
storage:

- (UITableViewCell*) tableView:(UITableView*)tableView
cellForRowAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath*)indexPath
{
    UITableViewCell* cell = [tableView
dequeueReusableCellWithIdentifier:@"MyIdentifier"];

    if (cell == nil)
        {
        cell = [[UITableViewCell alloc]
initWithStyle:UITableViewCellStyleSubtitle
reuseIdentifier:@"MyIdentifier"];
        cell.selectionStyle = UITableViewCellSelectionStyleNone;
    }

        if(indexPath.row < stashes.size())
        {
                Stash* pCurrStash = stashes.at(indexPath.row);
                if(pCurrStash)
                {
                        cell.textLabel.text = [NSString
stringWithUTF8String:pCurrStash->getName().c_str()];

                        //UIImage* theImage = [UIImage
imageWithContentsOfFile:path];
                        //cell.imageView.image = theImage;

    return cell;
}

I'm not supposed to call reloadData in that function, am I?  Thanks again.