On Oct 18, 2010, at 8:42 AM, Matt Gough wrote:

> Perhaps Apple should aim Instruments at itself. Inspired by Bill's post, I
> just did a HeapShot test on my own app. Instruments went up to 2.5GB real Mem
> and stayed at that when I closed the Instrument window.

"2.5GB Real Mem" is relatively meaningless.   Furthermore, it is quite
reasonable for it to not drop after you close all windows as the system isn't
going to spend the cycles reaping memory unless there is demand for it.

Activity Monitor -- assuming that is where you got the "Real Mem" number -- is
pretty much entirely useless for doing any kind of performance testing beyond
monitoring for the most basic symptom of a problem.

If you see the "Real Mem" of an application climbing over time, that is a bad
sign.  Maybe.   Beyond that, the number isn't useful.

'top' tends to be a much better tool for detecting such symptoms.   Open a
Terminal window and issue the command "top -u -o pid".   It display something
akin to Activity Monitor, but with the numbers broken down a bit more and a
more detailed systemic summary.  It also uses less resources than AM in that it
doesn't try to draw a picture.

b.bum