On 18 Oct 2010, at 19:56, Bill Bumgarner <b...@mac.com> wrote:

>       I wrote up an article on how to use the "Mark Heap" / "Heapshot
> Analysis" tools in Instruments to detect, analyze, and fix memory leaks,
> including those that leaks can't find.
>

> http://www.friday.com/bbum/2010/10/17/when-is-a-leak-not-a-leak-using-heapshot-analysis-to-find-undesirable-memory-growth/

First of all: Thank you very much for this very helpful article.

I just created a new Cocoa Document based app in Xcode (Version 3.2.4).
I did not edit any of the Xcode supplied files.
Clicked Build and then Run with Performance Tool → Allocations.
The I did 10 times:
        New
        Close
        Click "Mark Heap" in Instruments

But there are several kiloBytes of Heap Growth in (almost) each Heapshot.
These are:
CFBasicHash (value-store)
CFBasicHash (count-store)
<non-object>
None of these have any of my code (except main()) in their respective
backtraces.

So, what to do now?
Conclude that AppKit is full of leaks?
Investigate further? If yes, in which direction?

The problem is not with this test app, but with some real apps, where I also
see lots of stuff in the Heap Growth column, so that it is rather difficult to
recognize things which are caused by errors in my own code.

> Ideally, each "Heapshot" iteration should show 0 growth in almost all cases.

Indeed.

Kind regards,

Gerriet.