I'm looking a the MenuItemView sample code:
http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#samplecode/MenuItemView/Introduction/Intro.html

This sample shows various views and controls in a menu, including an
indeterminate progress bar - but it doesn't animate (even though startAnimation
is called). I assume this worked when the code was first released, apparently
in the 10.4 days, but in 10.5 and 10.6 it doesn't. What has changed, and what