What about using Interface Builder to do this? It seems I can drag in the
navigation bar to any place in a view. I'm not sure if I can hook the
navigation controller to this though.

If I use the UINavigationController in IB, it puts it at the top of the view
only.

From the UINavigationController Class Reference:
@property(nonatomic, readonly) UINavigationBar *navigationBar
Discussion
It is permissible to modify the barStyle or translucent properties of the
navigation bar but you must never change its frame, bounds, or alpha values
directly. To show or hide the navigation bar, you should always do so through
the navigation controller by changing its navigationBarHidden property or
calling the setNavigationBarHidden:animated: method.