On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Stephen Blinkhorn
<stephen.blinkh...@audiospillage.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Something doesn't seem right here.
>
> Returning NO for NSSavePanel's panel:shouldShowFilename: delegate will grey
> out/de-activate an item in the file browser but the item can still be
> selected and doing so copies the file name string into the Save As: text
> field.
>
> Is this the expected behaviour?  I'd expect that returning NO would prevent
> the user from selecting that item in any way.  Which it does for folders at
> least.

Yes. Try it yourself: Open TextEdit, save the document, and then
choose Save As. The original location will be there but grayed out.
You can still select it and choose to save, and the app will ask you
if you want to overwrite the existing file.

It doesn't make sense for individual files to be "unsaveable," unlike
open dialogs in which it makes perfect sense for files to be
"unopenable." So the gray appearance is used to denote that files
already exist, while directories remain enabled to indicate
navigability.

--Kyle Sluder