Thanks for the comprehensive replies.

On 15 Nov 2010, at 17:47, Graham Cox wrote:

On 16/11/2010, at 10:41 AM, Stephen Blinkhorn wrote:

Returning NO for NSSavePanel's panel:shouldShowFilename: delegate will grey out/de-activate an item in the file browser but the item can still be selected and doing so copies the file name string into the Save As: text field.

Is this the expected behaviour? I'd expect that returning NO would prevent the user from selecting that item in any way. Which it does for folders at least.

The SAVE panel always greys out all filenames, since you're not choosing a file, but saving one. As a convenience, it copies the name of anything you click - occasionally this is handy but it is somewhat odd (but clearly intentional) behaviour really. So I suspect that the delegate method is not contributing to the filename situation, only to stop you going into subfolders.

--Graham