I fumble-fingered the first message and sent it without actually typing
anything. Sorry for the noise if the moderator didn't catch it.

Someone may know an approved Apple method, but here are some things that are
out there now you could emulate. You could have it in Applications and use a
menu item to access its control panel (like Shimo, Jolt, Caffeine, BravoTunes).
You could install your background app as a command-line app and have a GUI app
in Applications that launches the control panel (see ClamXav for an example).
You could put it in Library/Application Support and have access to the Control
panel through System Preferences (like Roxio's Retrospect).

Aaron