On Jan 21, 2011, at 10:10 PM, Dave Fernandes <dave.fernan...@utoronto.ca> wrote:

> NSTreeController was broken in Tiger, but works fine for Leopard and later.
> Can't remember which sample project I used to learn it, but AbstractTree
> seems to do the basics.

Not quite. NSObjectController and subclasses ignore any options you provide in
-addObserver:forKeyPath:options:context:. This means you can't get "prior" KVO
notifications, and therefore can't know the value you're changing *from* in
response to a KVO notification.

Also, IIRC this means you cannot use +keyPathsAffectingValueForKey: to
auto-observe through an NS*Controller.

We no longer use any NSObjectController subclasses in our apps, and will not
until Apple fixes these issues.

--Kyle Sluder