On Jan 22, 2011, at 9:37 AM, cocoa-dev-requ...@lists.apple.com wrote:

> Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 09:19:50 -0500
> From: Jeremy Matthews <jeremymatth...@mac.com>
> Subject: lots of find/replace in text file
>
> So...the app I previously mentioned, ala Mad Libs...I now have lots more text
> to replace within the file (new additions). Besides using find/replace using
> NSScanner and NSStrings' stringByReplacingOccurrencesOfString....is there a
> better way, to perform a slew of find/place operations with a text file?
>
> So far, I have an array of strings (placeholders) which get replaced by an
> array of user-determined values, and the resulting mishmash gets spewed into
> a file.
>
> I can't help but think there might be a better (and more efficient way) of
> handling this?

What is mean by "better" or "efficient"? What is inefficient about what you're
doing? Have you actually done any Instruments testing or are you just guess
what's efficient and what's not?

I do have some other suggestions but I don't necessarily mean there is anything
more "efficient" about them:

(1) We now have regular expressions and blocks.

(2) A common trick is make the text file a format string (i.e., containing a
lot of %@) and just hand it to stringWithFormat along with all the
substitutions. Badda bing badda boom.

m.

--