Ah HA!

This problem has bugged me for ages and I could never find it. I too worked around it with re-saves or forcing nib recompilation whenever one of them worked. I always blamed some obscure corruption in IB but since I'm stuck on 10.5 I assumed it was just something to live with. In my case it's the loss of simple buttons on a sheet in the main window - they turn into those ugly half-gradient buttons too.

I'll look into this next time I work on the app.

Thanks a lot Graham!