On 5 Mar 2011, at 14:05, Jonathan Taylor wrote:

> Thanks again for your help, and thanks in particular for your follow-up
> email, which was a great help in working out the bindings (it was indeed the
> first time I'd done anything like that!). I have a couple of follow-up
> questions if you don't mind.
>
> Question 1 - you state "Nothing in any of this will or should have any effect
> on what's selected in the text field where editing was in progress", but if
> we are both talking about the same thing then I don't think that's happening
> for me. The screenshots before and after clicking the "send" button (which
> triggers a commit) are shown here:
>       www.dur.ac.uk/j.m.taylor/before_send.png
>       www.dur.ac.uk/j.m.taylor/after_send.png
> The text field has lost focus. Would you expect this to happen? Does this
> suggest that I've slipped up somewhere in how I have wired everything up
> together or something?

This is normal. To say that the text field has lost focus is missing the point.
It is no longer the first responder and therefore no longer displays the focus
rect. Searching the docs for "focus" won't help. firstResponder will.

> Here there are two separate categories of editable fields. If "send" is
> clicked then it is important that any edits to the stage command field are
> committed, but I think it would make more sense if ongoing edits to the
> "stage limits" fields are NOT committed if "send" is clicked (they are
> completely irrelevant). n.b. the window does not close when "send" is
> clicked. Is there any way of achieving this?

This sounds confusing. Anyhow, its totally up to you whether a pending edit is
committed or not. EIther do or don't send commitEditing to the controller
dependent on which object is first responder.

Regards

Jonathan Mitchell

Developer
Mugginsoft LLP