On Mar 10, 2011, at 7:43 AM, Benedikt Iltisberger wrote:

> I would like to know how you all do your testing on older versions of Mac OS
> X. Do you run additional systems with older versions of Mac OS X or do you use
> virtual machines?

I'd test on the OS versions we supported, usually the latest dot-releases of
the current and previous major OS versions. I have used both "real" installs on
one or more computers as well as VMs.

> What is the easiest way to check the compatibility of your app? Is it
> necessary to check the compatibility with older versions than Snow Leopard at
> all?

It's necessary unless you're not worried about a crash or other unintended
behavior. A bug could be fixed in the current version of an API method that has
to be worked around in an earlier version. Or you might be using, say, a
10.6-only feature where you'd written some code that does more or less the same
sort of thing and runs on 10.5. How else could you tell that both code paths
work unless you actually try them out?