Hi,

I went over the OSX HIG but couldn't come up with a good solution for my input needs, so decided to ask the many experienced developers in here...

In my app, the document window diplays a large canvas-type view in which various graphical objects are manipulated by the user. Each one of these objects represents sound events which are rendered by my synthesis engine. I set up a box with several text fields in which the user is supposed to insert parameteres for the selected object. In the bottom of the view there is a segmented control with buttons corresponding to each one of these parameters. For each available parameter, there are two input modes: the user can either insert a single value in the text field or click one of the buttons in the segmented control which opens a hidden view for graphically editing a vector of values for the corresponding parameter. The editing works great, and some nice touches of animation reinforce the idea of which object is selected, but...

When sound is rendered, only the last set mode (and corresponding data) is used for each parameter, but handling the user side of the deal is still pretty confusing to me. My main problem is how to switch between one mode and the other? I mean, I can code it in several ways, but just can't decide which one would be more adequate in terms of making a good use of cocoa controls and comunicating these states more effectively.

- My first attempt was having a pair of radio buttons for each parameter and disabling the oposite mode when either one was selected, but that made the interface way too crowded...

- Then I thought of a disclosure button to the side of each text field, to emphasize the idea that the graphical input mode would be an extra, more complex way of inserting data; but that still doesn't feel right.

- A third idea was to hide the text input field if the corresponing button was pressed, but then I couldn't find a user intuitive way to switch back to the text input. I am basically trying to keep the interface clean and only show stuff to the user if asked for.

Another issue is how to deal with the disabled input? . For example, when the user chooses to open the graphical view so he/she can build a dynamic curve for a certain parameter, should I just disable the text- field? Should I empty the field then disable it? Should I keep the old value around in case the user decides to change modes again? (I am not talking about undo yet...) How about the other way around? if the user spends a long time editing a vector for use in a parameter and then decides to change modes, should I keep all that (possibly large) data set around just in case? (Should this just be handled in an Undo?)

Sorry for so many questions. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Carlos.